JMC Logo Joint Mathematical Council of the United Kingdom


Minutes of JMC Council Meeting

2nd November 2004



Bernard Silverman               Chair
Sue Sanders                         Honorary Secretary
Adrian Oldknow                    Honorary Treasurer


Dave Miller                            Association of Mathematics Education Teachers
Margaret Jones                    Association of Teachers of Mathematics
Ros Sutherland                     British Society for Research into the Learning of Mathematics
Tony Mann                             British Society for the History of Mathematics
Andrew Osbaldestin            Conference of Heads of Departments of Mathematical Sciences
Colin Campbell                     Edinburgh Mathematical Society
Nigel Steele & Emma Hastings   Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
Peter Saunders                     London Mathematical Society
Bill Richardson                      Mathematical Association
Gillian Thumpston                 National Association of Mathematics Advisers
David Martin                          National Association for Numeracy and Mathematics in Colleges
Gerald Goodall                      Royal Statistical Society


Diana Coben                         Adults Learning Mathematics
Colin Matthews                      Advisory Committee on Mathematics Education
Tony Holloway                       Awdurdod Cymwysterau, Cwricwlwm ac Asesu Cymru  (The
                                                Qualifications, Curriculum and Assessment Authority for Wales)
Nicky Rutherford                    DfES
Roger Porkess                      Mathematics in Education and Industry
Lynn Churchman                   Office for Standards in Education
Alice Onion                            Qualifications and Curriculum Authority
Nigel Thomas & Nick Von Behr   Royal Society
Margaret Brown                    SMP
Linton Waters                        National Strategies
(Bill Richardson)                    United Kingdom Mathematics Trust 


Celia Hoyles                          Chief Mathematics Advisor, DfES





1.   Apologies

Alf Brown, Teacher Training Agency
Joe Kyle, Learning and Teaching Support Network
Derek Woodrow invited as guest to this meeting



2.   Welcome to new representatives

Margaret Jones acting as alternate for Peter Lacey
Tony Mann acting as alternate for June Barrow-Green
Colin Matthews, Advisory Committee on Mathematics Education



3.    Appreciation to departing representatives

We would like to record our appreciation for the work on JMC of Derek Woodrow and Lucy Allen, with special thanks to Derek for service over many many years.



4.   Minutes of the meeting of June 10th 2004




5.   Matters arising from the minutes

Letters to persons in Territories regarding uptake of Smith report received a perfunctory response. Bernard Silverman and Sue Sanders to send another joint letter to Territories

Bernard Silverman needs to complete a two page summary of the International  Review for schools



Bernard Silverman and Sue Sanders to send letter to Territories

Bernard Silverman to complete two page summary

6.   Reports from Officers

i)          Chair In the light of requests for representatives JMC needs a nominating committee. This will be chaired by Gerald Goodall. Working by email to select representatives. To select the committee each JMC representative (member or observer) nominates two non executive representatives to be on the Nominating committee. Executive will then use this information as a basis for selecting a coherent committee to be ratified by JMC members and observers by email. Membership will vary by rotation.

ii)         Secretary How to get papers to representatives. These will be made available via website see agenda item 14.

iii)         Treasurer   We have a surplus from donations for ICME 10 from Trinity College, The Royal Society, The London Mathematical Society. We will write to them offering to refund up to 900 each asking them to let us know what they wish to claim back explaining that we wish to set up a fund for future ICME.


All email Sue Sanders by about 10 November with nominations





 Adrian Oldknow to write letters to donors




7.   Report from ACME (Colin Matthews)

Paper as sumitted.



8.   Topical Item - The Tomlinson Report          

Discussion (ACME Draft response)


All respond to ACME Draft response

9.   CPD Working Party (Adrian Oldknow)

Paper as tabled



10.  Members Item (David Martin)

Paper as submitted

David Martin to gather responses on recommendations 1 (proactive networking) & 2 (roles and observers) and produce paper for next meeting.

Adrian Oldknow to take recommendations 3 (CPD framework) & 4 (CPD contribution) in CPD working party


David Martin to produce paper on recommendations 1 & 2 from responses for the February meeting


Adrian Oldknow to take on recommendations 3 and 4 in CPD working party


11. Standing Committees

i)          BCME. Report on planning for BCME 2005 verbal report given. Appreciation of BCME6 flyers. JMC send Joe our very best wishes. James Nicholson is acting chair. Emails are to be directed to Joe Kyle, James Nicholson and Bill Richardson including ideas about the way BCME is best structured including addition of UK ICME representative onto BCME committee. BCME will produce a position paper for the 8 February JMC meeting.  

ii)         ICME

Reports as submitted

Reports to be made available on the JMC website

Bernard Silverman and Sue Sanders to write a joint letter to the ICME committee about unsuitability of timing of ICME conference for UK delegates.



BCME to produce a position paper for February meeting



Bernard Silverman and Sue Sanders to write joint letter to ICME committee on timing


12.  Higher Education (Peter Saunders) verbal report given.



13.  Teacher Education (Dave Miller) paper as tabled

Bernard Silverman and Sue Sanders to resend letter  to Charles Clarke about additional funding for 2 year PGCE conversion courses.


Bernard Silverman and Sue Sanders to resend letter

14.   JMC Website (Bill Richardson)

i)          Website up to date. Bill will password protect an area of the website for papers



Bill Richardson to set up website area for papers

15.   Update on current developments

i)         TTA (Alf Brown - paper submitted)

ii)         QCA (Alice Onion paper submitted response welcome on 4.1 Two-tier GCSE Mathematics)

iii)        ACCAC (Tony Holloway paper submitted)

iv)        OFSTED (Lynn Churchman verbal report given)

v)         The National Strategies (Linton Waters paper submitted)



All respond to QCA 4.1

16.   Dates of future meetings

i)          Tuesday 8th February 2005 at 11:00

ii)          Thursday 9th June 2005 at 11:00

iii)         Tuesday 1st November 2005 at 11:30   immediately following AGM at 11:00



17. AOB




Discussion item

Chief Mathematics Advisor, Celia Hoyles. Discussion was based round questions submitted before the meeting